Sunday, November 29, 2009

Michigan's Endangered Speicies






December 2008 I visited Cranbrook which was exhibiting prints and photographs from Andy Warhol. Part of the show was a collection of prints titled Endangered Species. I was thinking about developing a science/art lesson which incorporated Warhol, printmaking, and regional endangered species. While researching Warhol I discovered he collaborated on a book with scientist Kurt Benirschke titled Vanishing animals. Warhol's resulting art was a combination of collage and printmaking. To prepare my students I introduced them to local endangered species: The Spotted Turtle and the Marbled Salamander. I didn't even know these species existed in our region until I started researching for this lesson.
The students colored with paint, outlined with marker, applied tissue paper collage, and squeezed paint from a bottle to make an off-set "registration line."